If my oldest son in Texas alleges that he saw me hitting my new wife in Colorado will I be investigated.

Asked 10 months ago - Colorado Springs, CO

who will have jurisdiction ? my wife says it never happened. My kids say it never happened. What can happen to me. I was previously charged with domestic violence but the case was dropped.

1. Christopher Daniel Leroi

Pro

8

Best Answer

Answered . Colorado, where the alleged domestic violence occurred has jurisdiction. Obviously, your wife is the best judge of whether you assaulted her or not. I am not sure how old your kids are. Children under 10 are not even viewed to be competent to testify under CO law unless the judge makes certain findings. Obviously, law enforcement will likely investigate an allegation of a crime, especially if it came from your oldest son (who we do not know if he is an adult or not). However, the police must make a finding that there is sufficient probable cause to charge you.

2. Brian B. Boal

Pro

6

Answered . Agree Mr. Leroi and would say generally that it depends on how credible law enforcement finds your son. It may turn on whether there is evidence corroborating/supporting his account of events. Keep in mind that the fact that you are charged does not mean that you are guilty, but if it happens, you should hire counsel right away.

3. David Littman

Pro

4

Answered . It sounds like this Is a very low risk to you. Colorado is where the alleged offense occurred.

4. David Littman

Pro

3