If my non-child support paying ex remarries, can I ask the court to order him to pay based on his new wife's income?

Asked 12 months ago - Stockton, CA

I have sole physical custody and did not get a support order put in place because my ex had no job at the time and asked me to consider the possibility that he will immediately go into arrears and it would affect his ability to search for and gain employment. To my knowledge, 3 years later, he still does not work. I know that he lives independently with his new fiancé and recently proposed. If he has money to buy a ring, he should have money to help me with his 3 children. The fiancé has a full time job.

1. Cathleen Elisabeth Norton

Pro

Answered . No...she has no legal obligation to support your child.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now