If my neighbors Cotton Wood Trees fall onto my house do they have to pay for the damage?

Anchorage, AK |

My neighbors have Cotton Wood Trees that are leaning towards my house. I have ofter to have them cut down at my expense, but they said no.

I do not practice law in Alaska.

In Colorado, the owner of the cotton wood tree would indeed be responsible. Talk to your homeowner's insurance carrier to get the answer you need.

Good luck!

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

Call your homeowner's insurance carrier and find out. That is probably the quickest way to get an answer specific to your jurisdiction. You also may be able to read your policy and find out whether your insurance will cover it should your neighbor fail to carry the appropriate coverage on his property.

This answer is intended to be used for general purposes only; it does not create an attorney-client relationship.

State laws vary, so call your insurance company for an answer.

Likely the Cotton owner Wood be responsible.