Skip to main content

If my name was listed on a search engine as a sex offender, right beside my full name, and on a news story that was incorrect ..

Jackson, TN |

Do I have an option to sue for defamation of character, the search engine was BING, and yahoo. Can i sue for defamation of character against a search engine for showing my name as a sex offender. The source was also an affiliate of ABC.

Attorney Answers 3


This is a tough case but it's worth seeking a personalized attorney consultation.

Andrew M. Bonderud, Esq. -- Licensed in FL & TN; The Bonderud Law Firm ,P.A. Andrew's posting here is not to be considered legal advice nor does an attorney-client relationship exist.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Is your name so unusual that there is no one else in the world with it? The person listed may have been a sex offender and you are unlucky enough to have the same same name.

If this Answer was of assistance please mark it as "helpful." Mr. Pascale is licensed to practice law in the State of New York. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and time-lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Pascale strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to insure proper advice is received.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree




Yes it is very unusual name, can't find anyone with same name except a kid in tx who is not been in any trouble. One news story in search engine also had me listed as a bomb making suspect......very serious defamation of character I think.

Brian C. Pascale

Brian C. Pascale


I think that you are not looking hard enough for the people with similar names. Defamation cases are difficult. They are even more difficult against the media. You can retain an attorney in your area that specializes in these kind of cases. They likely won't take it on a contingency and will ask for a retainer of approximately $7,500 to $10,000 to start.


As Mr. Pascale stated you may be unlucky to share the same name as an offender. Many people have the same name. I always think it is wise to visit with an attorney who specializes in sexual harassment cases and discuss these matters in detail and get legal advice as what would be your best course of action. An attorney can give you an opinion as to whether you have a viable claim, and what procedural steps you should take. Many attorneys handle these cases on a contingency percentage fee, taking a percentage of the recovery. There are no hourly fees and most attorneys do not charge anything for an initial appointment to discuss your case. I would suggest that you begin your search for an attorney on this Avvo website. Good luck!

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at and Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Internet law topics

Recommended articles about Internet law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics