Skip to main content

If my name is wrong on a court document dose that make the document invalid???

Augusta, GA |

I.m on probation in Augusta,GA but live in Warner Robins,GA.I was on mail-in status,but was removed because the document they have on me are spelled and in the wrong placement..

Attorney Answers 4


I am licensed in Florida not Georgia. For a specific answer you should consult with a local attorney.

Typo or scrievenors error is a common problem. It normally can be fixed with a simple notification to the Court. For certain documents a motion/pleading may be required. For others an affidavit might work. My suggestion would be to talk to the clerk of court to get corrected.

Good luck.

Mark as helpful


Usually a misspelling of a name will not invalidate a court document. It could, however, prevent a court directive from being given effect, if the person who is required to do or refrain from doing a particular thing would not be put on notice of the requirement because of the error.

Please note that I am a New York attorney and cannot advise you as to the application of your state's laws. For that reason, you may wish to consult a local attorney.

Good luck to you.

Mark as helpful


Nope! The other answers would apply in Georgia as well.

Mark as helpful


This question may be more thoroughly answered if you post it in the criminal law or criminal defense section of AVVO. Probate is, generally, the area of law dealing with people's estates once they pass away or if they are incapacitated.

As a general answer, a typo does not make a legal document invalid. There are certain exceptions that a qualified criminal defense attorney can better explain to you. For instance, there are circumstances in which a special type of objection to an indictment (or other document formally making criminal charges against a person) can be successful on the basis that the indictment (or other charging document) is somehow not perfect.

If your mail-in status was revoked or removed because you didn't get mail or the probation people thought they couldn't find you due to a wrong name/address, it's possible that you could take that up with the probation office to which you report or to the court that sentenced you - if the error in your name and/or address is entirely their fault and not yours.

Good luck.

Mark as helpful

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics