If my name is spelled wrong on a legal document will my case be thrown out of court

Asked almost 2 years ago - Raleigh, NC

I got an indictment and my name is spelled wrong can my case be thrown out

1. Damon John Chetson

1

Answered . As the other lawyers said, the answer is no. The article below - "the criminal indictment" - has a good explanation of which defects in a charging document can affect the outcome in an NC criminal case. The answer is very few.

And, in any case, the State can amend the indictment in most cases before the close of its evidence, so mistakes that might cause a problem at trial are usually fixed by the state before they become an issue.

2. Thomas Klemens Almquist

2

Answered . No. Not just for a misspelled name. Nice try! Talk to a lawyer.

3. Kendra Joanna Long

1

Answered . As a general rule, the simple misspelling of a name is not going to be sufficient to have a case thrown out. You obviously have notice that there is a case against you, even if your name has a spelling issue in the court paperwork. You should speak with a Criminal Defense attorney about correcting the error so you continue to be kept alerted as to the status of your case.

4. Robert David Richman

1

Answered . Sorry, no.