If my mother signed temporary guardianship over to two people of me when i was nine, can I go live with her now that I am 17?

Asked over 1 year ago - Marion, NC

I would like to go live with my mother, but the two people who have guardianship or custody of me will not let me. I am old enough to know where I want to live. I do not want to be in the home I am because of things that go on.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Denise Leydon Harvey


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It is unlikely that these people would be temporary guardians for 8 years. I would suggest a few things. One option is to find out from the probate department of your local court what authority these people have to be your guardians. Whether it is temporary or permanent, you and your mother may be able to petition the court to terminate it. Several factors would be considered by the court, among them why these people were given guardianship, what your mother's situation is currently, where your father stands on this, etc. This could be time-consuming and expensive. The other option would be to wait until you turn 18. In NC you are considered an adult at 18 and (unless there are other issues) you can live where you choose to live. Good luck -

    Please note: The above is for general information purposes only. It is not intended to establish and does not... more

Related Topics

Child Custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Guardianship and child custody

A guardianship is a legal arrangement for who will have custody and be responsible for the care of child, or "ward." The guardian acts in the child's interests.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,084 answers this week

3,427 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,084 answers this week

3,427 attorneys answering