Skip to main content

If my mother and I both put our money together and buy a house outright, can we put my name only on the mortgage?

Hartford, SD |

I'm trying to protect the house/my investment in the event that my mother needs to go into a nursing home.

Attorney Answers 3


That will first be up to your Lender, and if your Lender agrees, then the two (2) of you need to expore the "pluses and minuses" of doing so.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


I would suggest contacting an elder law or estate planning attorney in your area. There may be a risk in doing this, and there may be better ways to accomplish your goals. The Find a Lawyer tab at the top of the page allows you to search by practice area and location.

By the very nature of Avvo, you have only provided limited facts and no documentation, therefore, our response to your question is treated only as a hypothetical, and as such it is merely general in nature. You should not rely on this response in taking or forgoing action in your circumstances without discussing this matter with an attorney. If we had the opportunity to ask you sufficient questions and review relevant documents so that we were satisfied we had all of the relevant facts and circumstances, our response might differ significantly. Without the opportunity to ask you questions, and review all relevant documents and memoranda, we are simply unable to provide any form of legal advice. Our response to your question does not create any attorney-client relationship between us, and we are not acting as your attorney. We reserve the right to decline representation in any case. By answering your question, we are under no obligation to answer further questions. There are very specific deadlines for filing a lawsuit, replying to a lawsuit filed against you, or taking other action in order to preserve your legal rights. You should contact an attorney immediately in order to be fully advised of your rights, and so that you are aware of those deadlines. If you fail to act within the required time frame, you might be forever barred from asserting your rights or defending your position. The attorney answering this question is licensed in Illinois and Iowa only.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


You may certainly pool your money and buy a home with you listed only on the mortgage - assuming that you qualify for a mortgage on your own.

As to the second issue, i.e., protecting assets in case your mother will need long term care, as my colleagues have suggested, you should consult a local estate planning / elder law attorney who can best advise you and your mother as how to best protect your assets.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics