Skip to main content

If my mom became a US citizen when I was 17 does that make me a citizen?

Tacoma, WA |

My mother and I have live in the United state for a long time we move from california to Washington state in 1999 and on December 13,2000 my mother became a US citizen. At the time I just turn 17 a few month before she became a citizen. Now I am currently 28 and was about to apply for US citizen using the N-400 form, as I was looking through the application in section 3 where they ask if any one of my parent is a citizen and I answer yes, it stated that if I answer yes to the question then before I proceed to read the guide first and as I was reading it sounded to me that I might already become a citizen because at the time that my mother got her citizen I was only 17 so that make me a citizen automatically. So is that correct or do I need to apply for citizen on my own.

Attorney Answers 4


Did you have a green card at the time when your mom became a citizen? Did you turn 18 after February 27, 2001? And did you live with her, did she have custody? If you can answer all this with yes you might very well be a citizen.

Wolf W. Kaufmann
Southern California Immigration Attorney

No client-attorney relationship is being created by this posting. Please contact an attorney with questions about your case.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


See Mr. Kaufmanns answer.

Mark as helpful


Mr Kaufmann is correct. HIre an attorney to look at the dates and application of the law

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


You may be a citizen and you may not. The law is different depending on when you were born, but generally they require that you were a lawful permanent resident before your mom naturalized. It also matters if your parents were married before you were born. If you are a Citizen you could prove it to the U.S. Passport office and not have to seek naturalization. Speak with an immigration attorney. I am currently working on a similar case it seems to be a question that has come up a several times in my practice.

Andre Olivie, Esq.
Seattle Immigration Lawyer
(206) 724-1940

Legal disclaimer: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Do not rely on this advice without speaking to an immigration attorney in detail about your case. This message does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics