If my Medicaid pending application on behalf of my husband is rejected can the nursing home bill me?

Asked 6 months ago - Ocala, FL

My husband and are Florida residents. We have no assets; only Social Security and other pensions. I want to place him soon, but cannot afford financial risks.

1. Mark Russell Lewis

Pro

5

Answered . No - in the state of Florida you are not responsible for his bills unless you signed a guarantee with the Nursing Home. Do NOT SIGN A GUARANTEE OR RESPONSIBLE FOR HIM!
    You should seek representation so you can get diversion of his SS and pension when he goes into the home!

2. David L. Carrier

Pro

3

Answered . Not unless you personally guarantee payment. So don't personally guarantee payment! Don't let this fear stand in the way of getting the care your husband needs... The fact is that the care giver spouse (that's you!) dies before the nursing home spouse 64% of the time! Why? Because they kill themselves keeping the other one out of the nursing home... your husband needs you, especially when he's in a long term care facility - take care of yourself, then (and only then) can you take care of him...

3. Ivette M Santaella

Best Answer

Answered . Hello,

If you are unable to receive Medicaid benefits for your husband, then the nursing home can look to you and your husband for payment.