If my license is suspended in nj can i get a ny licence and drive in nj

Paterson, NJ |

If your New Jersey license is suspended, obtaining an out-of-state license will NOT make you a legal driver in New Jersey. When you apply for a license in any state, the application asks whether your driving privilege is currently suspended or revoked in any other state. If that State later discovers that you lied on the application, you could be subject to criminal prosecution. Furthermore, if you are successful in getting a New York license and get caught driving in New Jersey, you will be issued a ticket for driving while suspended or revoked, which carries mandatory fines of at least $500.00 for a first offender and an additional suspension of your New Jersey driving privilege. Also if you become involved in an accident resulting in personal injury to someone other than yourself while driving on the suspended list, there is a mandatory jail term, even if the accident is not your fault.

If I lose my license for a period of time in NJ due to a DUI, can I get a NY state license and drive in NY (not NJ)? Thank you.

Elliot S Stomel

Elliot S Stomel

No, the same rules in my original answer apply.

No, if your NJ license is suspended, an out-of-state license will not grant you the right to drive in New Jersey. Note that if you are suspended for a NJ DWI conviction and are charged with driving while suspended and convicted, there is a mandatory 10 to 90 day jail sentence and 1 to 2 year (additional) loss of your NJ license/privileges. In addition, if you are suspended in NJ, NY DMV will likely ask when you apply for the license, if your license/driving-privilege is currently suspended. If you answer no, you will be committing a criminal offense.

No.

Get Avvo’s 3-part DUI email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI