Skip to main content

If my license is revoked by the state of MN for DUI, am I able to legally drive in any other state during my revocation?

Minneapolis, MN |

I've read that there are a few states that don't share DUI or other driving record information, does that mean it's possible to drive in those states while my license is revoked elsewhere?

Attorney Answers 4


No, because every state requires you to have a valid license to drive in that state. If you were pulled over, it has nothing to do with sharing DUI information (which by the way is largely a fiction). it has to do with, they run a license check, you come back revoked in MN. you are guilty of driving without a valid license issued by the arresting state or any other state.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


The short answer is no. if your MN license is not valid in MN, it is not valid anywhere.

Mark as helpful

9 lawyers agree


No, assuming you had a Minnesota DL when you got a DWI in Minn. The best way to solve this problem is to fight the DWI and the companion civil DL implied consent case, and win both.

This is not legal advice. This site is only to be used for general information, not advice on what to do with your specific case.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


If your license is a Minnesota license, then the answer is you have no driving privileges anywhere until Minnesota restores your privileges. If you move to a different state it is up to that state to decide whether to give you a new license.

If you were a Wisconsin or North Dakota resident, for example, and your license was revoked by Minnesota, that revocation would only apply in Minnesota, until your home state took action.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for IMPORTANT INFORMATION about this AVVO Answer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I am an experienced Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

State, local, and municipal law topics

Recommended articles about State, local, and municipal law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics