If my insurance does not cover more than 10000 of a vehicle i total which is worth maybe 20000,can i get sued?

Asked over 1 year ago - Atlanta, GA

1. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

5

Answered . If you're at fault, yes.

2. Kevin Coluccio

6

Answered . Yes, unless the insurance company is able to resolve the matter within policy limits.

3. Michael Shemtoub

6

Answered . You need to take a copy of the police accident report and your policy of insurance and consult with an attorney.

4. Mark John Caruso

Pro

6

Answered . yes, unfortunately

5. Robert G. Rothstein

4

Answered . Yes, if you were at fault, and that is all the insurance you have, you can be personally sued. See if you have an umbrella provision in your homeowners policy or any other policies you may own. If you do, the umbrella coverage might take care of it.

Law Offices of Robert G. Rothstein
    www.rgrothsteinlaw.com

6. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

4

Answered . No, if the case is resolved within the policy limits. Call your insurance company and submit the accident claim to them. Let the insurance company handle the accident claim. The only way you will get sued is if the plaintiff does not wish to take the insurance monies, Best of luck.

7. Sean P. Wickens

Pro

3

Answered . You can get sued if you cause damage to another person's vehicle. If your liability limit is $10,000, then your insurance company won't settle for $10,000 and leave you holding the bag on additional property damage that is owed.

Pro

3

Answered . Only if it doesn't settle within limits.

9. Joseph E. Lariscy III

1

Answered . I find this odd. If you live in Georgia, insurance requirements are a minimum of $25,000 limits. To answer your question, yes, if you do not have enough coverage to pay the damages on a vehicle, and the accident is your fault, there is a chance that the not-at-fault party will file suit.