If my inssurance company or agency apparently was gone or dissapear, should I have to assume for it if the other party suing me?

Asked over 1 year ago - Miami, FL

I had a car accident (first in my life) in june 2009, I paid my traffic ticket because I didn t see a non left turn and other car crash mine, 2 years later in may 28 STATE FARM CAR INSSURANCE sue me alleguing that they couldn t get same reimbursment amount $, of 12 500.00, which they have decided to pay to her insured(other accident party), Apparently what happened was that my car inssurance agency was gone or dissapear in time between I paid them and 2010, ( I have my inss card provided by them and receipt of payment, in spite that I have send explicit certifify mail letters to STATE FARM, they dont care and they dont wanna understand reasons that it has not been my fault if I paid for my car inssurance and due that the agency was gone, they couldn.t obtain back their reimbursment.

Attorney answers (8)

  1. 6

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Get an attorney if they will not understand your position regarding your insurance coverage.

  2. 7

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Can you clarify this post? If you had insurance on the date of the collision, and you cannot find the company, contact your State's Department of Insurance and they will help you out.

    Good luck.

    In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship.... more
  3. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . It sounds like State Farm is suing you for subrogation, i.e. to recover what they paid their insurance policy holder. If you had insurance, you need to put them on notice of the claim. Your insurance carrier must defend you. If your insurance carrier went out of business (the actual insurance company not the agency that sold you the policy) contact the State Dept. of Insurance (it's called the Dept. of Financial Services) to find out who the insurer of last resort is (usually but not always FIGA). If you need help with this seek out an attorney with experience dealing with insurance coverage.

    The information on this website is provided as a service to the public. While the information on this site deals... more
  4. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you are saying that the both the insurance company and the insurance agency where you purchased the insurance are gone you should contact The Department of Insurance. They will have complete records and will be able to assist you.

  5. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You are saying that you had insurance when you got hit, is that right:: If so, then your insurance should have taken care of this bill. Please contact a PI attorney in your city to advice you and contact the insurance company. Best of luck.

    This answer is provided by California Accident Attorney Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., 510-206-4492. Abogado de... more
  6. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Have a Miami car accident lawyer investigate this

  7. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If your insurance company went out of business, there is a State of Florida agency, FIGA, that will cover the loss. But you need to make the claim. Have your lawyer do it.

    This is a summary based on incomplete facts. You should not rely on it as legal advise. No attorney-client... more
  8. Answered . I suggest that you retain an attorney to go over the detailed facts of this matter. There may also be reason for you to contact the State attorney general's office, consumer fraud division and file a complaint regarding the agency.

    Legal Disclaimer:

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

    Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

    This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Related Topics

Lawsuits and disputes

If you're faced with a dispute that can't be resolved by negotiation, a lawsuit may be necessary. It will allow you to seek a legally binding solution in court.

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Advisor span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now