If my in-laws (Chinese) lied on their visa application about who paid for their trip - is that enough to contact ICE

Seattle, WA |

They have convinced my partner that I am a demon, he has closed all of our bank accounts and reported all of our credit cards as fraudulent - he has assaulted me each time I've returned home - his father has intimidated me (blocking the exit in the garage so I had to leave through the garage door) his father joined in on the last assault. My partner is losing his mind since they arrived. I even offered to take sublease an apartment for the summer while they visited, but my sublease is up before they leave and now that he's reported me (falsely for theft, fraud) it makes things more difficult - to add to it he's raped me - and I know that this is all because of his mental health deteriorating as a result of their rejecting his sexuality & our relationship. The police sided with him. ICE?

You need to remove yourself from that dangerous situation and get counseling.

It seems to be everyone's opinion that I should just give up on everything I've worked for and let his parents have it all. Is there not a single attorney that thinks I should get to keep any of my things? That these people should have to leave our country? Why is it that our government approves a visa for a tourist visa and that gives them the right to steal my whole life and encourage their son's now violent behavior??

Maria J. Marty

Maria J. Marty

There is a cause of action called "replevin" that you can initiate to get your property back. You would have to go to court and file some papers. This is not immigration law so this is outside oour field of expertise. I think that what we are all saying is that you need to remove yourself from a potentially dangerous situation, and not continue to feed the fire of dysfunction.

Thank you Maria - This has all been very disheartening for me as I was very much blindsided by all of this. This whole time I thought I was doing him the favor by helping him ease his parents into our relationship, home, and life together - and I gave them the opportunity to turn him against me in such a wicked way. Is there no way of getting them to leave the country sooner? They lied on their visa application (we paid for their plane tickets, entertainment, food, shelter and they claimed they were paying for the trip themselves. And suddenly his parents are married again - previously, my partner had told me of their divorce and that they had moved back in for appearances but he emailed his auntie and suddenly they have a marriage certificate) I know there isn't a box to check for the purpose of one's visit as "destroy son-in-law's life & steal his home" - but wouldn't a real estate transaction be beyond the parameters of a tourist visa? His father has even intimidated and aided in assaulting me...I don't understand how our INS would permit these actions against the only US citizen that lives in that house...Not that I have a problem with non-US citizens - heck, I was more than happy to fill out the I30 once his employer said they wouldn't sponsor his visa again since he was eligible for his Green Card now. Please advise - I really appreciate your candor and genuine concern. I can call for a consultation if that works better for you as well. Cheers!

I agree with my colleague. The best action you can take is remove yourself from the situation.

Find a woman's shelter and GET OUT OF THE HOUSE.

Ask the counselors at the shelter to help you find an attorney.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- franco@capriotti.com -- www.capriotti.com -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

I don't think they allow men in a women's shelter - but I understand what you're saying.

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

Sorry. Perhaps there is a men's shelter in your area.

You need to remove yourself from them and get help.

The information on this website is not intended to be legal advice.

I'm hiding now - now what kind of help?