If my I20 get revoked what would happen my F1 status?

Asked 7 months ago - Houston, TX

Hey!
I am in the process of moving to Canada so i have to quit my study here in US.
My F1 visa won't expire until August 2014 but as the spring semester already started , i got a notice from School that i will be dropped within a week.
My question is soon after me getting dropped, will my F1 status canceled with the I20 being revoked?
How many times i have till i absolutely have to leave US?
I don't want to jeopardize my future status in US as i will be vistiing US constantly when i moved to Canada.
Since i am also applying visa for Canada from US, at the Los angeles embassy, i think i may have to remain legal status throughout my application, which won't be over for at least another month.
Thanks!

1. Yvonne F. Koopman

3

Answered . You should have talked to the DSO at your school and asked this question BEFORE you decided not to enroll for the Spring semester to quit your classes because it sounds like you are in violation of your status. And if you did, you are removable (deportable). Your F-1 visa stamp only allows you to travel to the US and request admission as an F-1 student. You are in valid F-1 status only as long as you are maintaining status - that's what D/S (duration of status) means. If you quit your studies, you are not maintaining status and the school will report you to immigration. Normally, there is a 60-day grace period after the completion of the course of study or OPT as stated on the I-20. Filing a change of status to B-2 visitor may be an option if you need time to process your visa to Canada. You should consult with an experienced immigration attorney immediately about your options.

2. Lalita Haran

3

Answered . DSO at your college/ university should be able to give you all the answers.

3. Andrei Romanenko

Answered . Check with your school first. You are in violation of your F-1 status, but your status will not be terminated until the school reports you and an immigration officer makes a decision in your case.