If my husbands income is less than federal poverty guidelines who is entitled to sponsor me?

Asked over 1 year ago - Newnan, GA

My husband and I are filling out my I-130 and I-485,in which he is to fill in the affidavit of support,but reading the federal poverty guidelines annually his income is way less. Is he still eligible to sponsor me or as I am living with my in laws will my mother in law have to sponsor me in order to get my adjustment of status? If so what documents do I need to support evidence of his or her income. Please I am in need of legal advice ASAP!

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Lino Raul Rodriguez Jr.

    Contributor Level 6


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Any individual that is a Legal Permanent Resident or U.S. Citizen. Note that the co-sponsor's income must meet the guidelines on his or her own. The income of the sponsor and the co-sponsor are not combined to meet the criteria. You can go to USCIS.gov and look at form I-864P to get a straight forward chart of the current federal poverty guidelines. Good luck!

  2. Carly Stadum

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Look to the I-864 Affidavit of Support instructions, if your husband does not earn enough to file a Affidavit of Support for you by himself, you can also include your in laws' income together with his income, in order to meet the required income amount, since you all live together in the same household. If you include his income and your in laws' income together, your in laws will have to also have to fill out a I-864A, Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member.

  3. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Any USC or LPR who meets the poverty guidelines and is will to be responsible can be a co-sponsor.

    Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 www.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,618 answers this week

3,274 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,618 answers this week

3,274 attorneys answering