If my husbands income is less than federal poverty guidelines who is entitled to sponsor me?

Asked over 1 year ago - Newnan, GA

My husband and I are filling out my I-130 and I-485,in which he is to fill in the affidavit of support,but reading the federal poverty guidelines annually his income is way less. Is he still eligible to sponsor me or as I am living with my in laws will my mother in law have to sponsor me in order to get my adjustment of status? If so what documents do I need to support evidence of his or her income. Please I am in need of legal advice ASAP!

1. Lino Raul Rodriguez Jr.

3

1

Answered . Any individual that is a Legal Permanent Resident or U.S. Citizen. Note that the co-sponsor's income must meet the guidelines on his or her own. The income of the sponsor and the co-sponsor are not combined to meet the criteria. You can go to USCIS.gov and look at form I-864P to get a straight forward chart of the current federal poverty guidelines. Good luck!

2. Carly Stadum

4

Answered . Look to the I-864 Affidavit of Support instructions, if your husband does not earn enough to file a Affidavit of Support for you by himself, you can also include your in laws' income together with his income, in order to meet the required income amount, since you all live together in the same household. If you include his income and your in laws' income together, your in laws will have to also have to fill out a I-864A, Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member.

3. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

2

Answered . Any USC or LPR who meets the poverty guidelines and is will to be responsible can be a co-sponsor.