If my husband was drunk during the ceremony of marriage can we get an annulment?

Asked over 1 year ago - Bronx, NY

We thought we wanted get married but he decided he didn't so he went out to drink the day of the wedding and so he said i do but when he sobered up he realized he really didnt

1. Joseph S Hubicki

Pro

6

1

Best Answer

Answered . The situation does not fall within the categories for annulment in New York. The annulment category of "Incapable of consenting for want of understanding " DRL 7(2), usually applies to diagnosed mental retardation or mental illness. You can get a divorce based on "irretrievable breakdown," but you have to wait until six months after the marriage.

2. David Ivan Bliven

Pro

7

Answered . You would probably be able to make out a cause of annulment, either on the grounds that he lacked sufficient "understanding" of the proceeding and/or because of his "physical state." If this is your intention, you should move to annul the marriage immediately, however, as the longer you go, the more a Judge may believe that at some point you "ratified" the marriage. In any event, I encourage you to schedule a follow-up consultation with a Bronx Co. Divorce attorney.

* If you found my answer to be helpful, or the "best answer," please feel free to mark it accordingly.
  3. Morghan L Richardson

Pro

6

Answered . I have a legal guide on my profile comparing annulment and divorce. An annulment will require a hearing. An uncontested divorce generally can be done on papers submitted to the court. Talk to some attorneys to weigh your options.

4. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

3

1

Answered . Consult with a local divorce lawyer if you want either a divorce or an annulment. They are different procedures and require different paperwork. Depending on the facts either may be possible.

One or more answers have been taken down.