If my husband and I agree on how to divide our assets, how much detail do we need in our court papers?

Asked over 4 years ago - Bellevue, WA

My husband and I each came into the marriage with property, have kept all our earnings and assets separate and agree on how these should be divided in our divorce. There are no children. The only joint asset is our house which we are selling and will divide an profit equally. Can we just tell the court that or do we need to list all the assets (e.g. accounts) or do we also need to include the amount in each account/value of real property. If so, as of what date?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Elizabeth Rankin Powell

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You do not need to list your assets in the public court record, and I never recommend it. Instead, you say, "the parties have reached a just and equitable division of all property, the terms of which are contained in the separation agreement, which is NOT being filed with the court." Then you include the terms you think in that document. Call it a CR2A agreement, each of you sign it and keep a copy. If necessary you can take it to court - under seal - and ask the court to enforce it but there is no reason to ever publish your financial details in the Court record.

    The Dissolution Decree form is at http://www.courts.wa.gov under forms. This option preserves your privacy. So long as you are satisfied with the division you have agreed upon the court will sign the orders you propose.

    Hope this helps. Elizabeth Powell

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,579 answers this week

2,977 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,579 answers this week

2,977 attorneys answering