Skip to main content

If my house goes into a non judicial foreclosure sale, can the lender put liens on my other properties for the remaining debt?

Kingston, WA |

The Deed of Trust states that:“All of the foregoing is referred to in this Security Instrument as the “Property.” Borrower understands and agrees that MERS holds only legal title to the interests granted by Borrower in the Security Instrument, but if necessary to comply with law or custom, MERS (as nominee for Lender) has the right: to exercise any or all of those interests, including, but not limited to, the right to foreclose and sell the Property: and to take any action required of the Lender including but not limited to, releasing and canceling this Security Instrument.” I own property adjacent to the house. Should I deed it to my children to protect it?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


With some very limited exceptions, which don't appear to apply based on your statements, the lender is not able to obtain a deficiency judgment against you on non judicial foreclosure, and as such, the lender would not be able to lien your other property with a judgment Lien. My qualification to this answer is if you have lending on the property you are trying to protect, and that lending is from the same lender completing the foreclosure on the other property; in that case, there should be a careful review of the promissory notes and deeds of trust to make sure there's no creative language allowing recovery aagainst either or both properties if there is non payment.



Thank you. I hold the title on the other property, so if I understand this correctly, we will only be loosing the piece with the house on it.

Nathan D Sukhia

Nathan D Sukhia


If you hold the other property free and clear, no lending, and the lender at issue pursues non judicial foreclosure, you will only be losing the piece with the house on it. If there's more than one mortgage on the house at issue it could get a bit more complicated and that would be worth talking about 253-509-0625

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer