If my girlfriend is 17 and pregnant can we get married without her parents concent?

Asked over 2 years ago - Dalton, GA

she is 17 will be 18 in sept. her parents hate me for no good reason. and we think she is pregnant

1. Ikemesit Amajak Eyo

2

Answered . No, your 17 year old girlfriend cannot get married without her parents' consent. Under GA law [OCGA 19-3-2(b)]: "If either applicant for marriage is 16 or 17 years of age, parental consent as provided in Code Section 19-3-37 shall be required."

2. Anthony M. Zezima

Pro

1

Answered . Up until 2006, Georgia allowed a waiver of the age and parental consent requirements when the female minor was pregnant. Although Georgia no longer allows this exception, Tennessee, and some other states, still allow it. The parents will get notice of the application, and have an opportunity to oppose it. However, their opposition to it does not necessarily stop it from being granted. Good luck to you.

3. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

Answered . Her parents do have reason to "hate" you. You got a minor pregnant and it's their daughter.

If you seek a marriage license, they do get notice and can oppose it until she is 18.