If my father dies and I live in the home with him do I have any rights to the home ??

Asked over 2 years ago - Miami, FL

I'm worried he will leave it to my brother who has a home and a family in another city . I have lived in the home all my life ..

1. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

5

Answered . If your father has 100% ownership-he can live it to whoever he wants.
    If you have made substantial contributions to the property-you might have a special
    equity claim-but these claims are rare.
    If your father was incompetent or unduly influenced-you might be able to challenge the will.

2. Sherri Marie Stinson

3

Answered . Living in the home does not convey ownership to you. When your father dies, the home will either pass by intestatcy (if he dies without a will) or pass according to the terms of his will. Since your father owns the home, he can do whatever he pleases with it.

3. Ian C. White

1

Answered . Have you discussed your issue with your father yet? Does your father have a Will in place? If so, has he allowed you to see it or discussed it with you? I find that it is always best to get those sort of issues resolved so no one is trying to interpret what the decedent wanted. Remember that if your father does not have a Will at the time he dies, the homestead will pass in accordance to Florida's intestecy laws. You may want to look at Chapter 733, Florida Statutes.

4. Michael S. Haber

Pro

2

Answered . Mr. Pippen and Ms. Stinson give you good advice. Your rights are neither amplified nor diminished by the fact that you reside with him. Residency does not confer ownership or partial ownership. You can worry all you want as to whether your father will leave the house to your brother, but that is of little moment: Your father gets to decide to whom he wishes to leave his property. If your father is still alive (as appears to be the case since you used the word "if"), you might consider cherishing the time he has left, rather than be preoccupied with what happens to his property after his death.

Good luck to you.