If my ex remarries, do I still pay spousal support?

Waverly, OH |
Filed under: Alimony

In the divorce decree, I am to pay spousal support rather than keep up car payments and insurance. If she remarries, I want to end the money I pay her.

You should review the final divorce decree (or judgment entry) to determine under what conditions a spousal support award will end (typically, a judge will order spousal support to stop when the payee spouse gets remarried or co-habitats with another male). If the judge did provide conditions that will terminate the spousal support, the judge may have reserved jurisdiction to review the amount or duration of the spousal support award, in which case you will need to file a motion to terminate spousal support. If the judge did not reserve jurisdiction AND there is no termination, you are probably out of luck. If you are still within 30 days of the decree, you may be able to appeal that issue.