If my ex-husband did not pay all his employment taxes on his S- Corporation, which I knew and know nothing about.

Asked over 1 year ago - Locust, NC

If I knew nothing about his business , and these taxes were not paid two qt r's in 06 and two in 07 , he had an accountant . We sold our home where his business was and divorced in 2009 and I just got notice they were putting a lien on his s corp that has been administratively closed at the previous home we owned . Why are they sending me a copy and what does that mean ? He is in NC but I have no idea what he did with his business ? How did they find me . We filed one tax return together in 2006 and paid over 16 , 000 in taxes at that time ? I don't know what employment taxes are ? I have not had any notice that I am responsible but why is the tax auditor in county where I have been living and notifying me ?

1. Dana Whitney Atchley

3

Answered . The only really good advice anyone here can give you under these circumstances is that you must consult with a competent local tax professional immediately. You should be able to get a free or low-cost initial consultation at which you should learn whether you have anything to worry about or not.

On the substance of your question: Employment taxes are the taxes paid for medicare, social security, state unemployment compensation, and withheld income taxes. These taxes are typically referred to as "trust fund taxes" and even if a corporation is the employer, they can be assessed personally against the owners, officers, or other high-level management of the corporation. I can't tell you for sure, but if your ex-husband was secretive about his business, it's possible that he listed you as a shareholder, director or officer without your knowledge. If that's the case, then the state will consider you to be a so-called "responsible person" until you can prove otherwise.

Other than that, I cannot immediately think of a reason why you would be notified if you had no connection with the corporation, which is why I think you should be speaking to a competent local tax attorney tomorrow, or as soon as you can schedule an iniital consultation.

2. Andrew B Gordon

Pro

2

Answered . You should consult a tax attorney to assist you. In general, you are jointly and severally liable for the taxes payable for the years that you filed a joint return with your ex-husband. However, there are opportunities to remove yourself from this liability such as "Innocent Spouse Relief." You should consult a tax attorney who can help you explore these options.

Best,

Andrew B. Gordon, Esq., CPA
    www.GordonLawLtd.com
    847-580-1279

3. Bruce Givner

Answered . They are probably sending you a copy of the notice because your name is listed on the joint income tax return. You should contact the local IRS Taxpayer Assistance Office. Go to http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-My-Local-Office-... to locate the one nearest you.