Skip to main content

If my ex has to send my money every month for my health insurance, stated in our agreement. Can he choose to deduct kids charges

Hudson, WI |
Filed under: Divorce

He pays me a monthly allowance towards my health ins. We split the co pays and things for our kids..can he just deduct the copays from my health money or should he pay me in full and then I will pay him the half I owe him for the kids.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


This should be governed by the terms of your support agreement. If it isn't, it needs to be. Consult the attorney that helped you get that agreement in the first place.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.


What does your divorce decree/order say? This should spell out how this is handles. If it is silent that as long as this is not costing you any additional monies, your “ex” appears to be making things easier on you by cutting down on the back and forth payments by paying you the net amount owed.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.


I'd have to agree. As long as it comes out the same in the end, what's the beef. He's paying, something a lot of others aren't doing. He's making it easier for you, something a lot of other aren't doing. Take comfort that you are both taking care of the business of taking care of the kids.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer