IF my ex files a petition in Arizona to change her awarded alimony, which state has jurisdiction?

Asked about 1 year ago - Santa Maria, CA

She's in Arizona, I'm in California and we divorced in Ca., does the Az court follow Ca law? Can she have the filed divorce papers (filed 12/2012 in Ca) refiled in Az?

1. Erica Michelle Bansmer

Pro

1

Best Answer

Answered . Good Morning,

What is the status of the divorce proceeding here in CA? If the matter has been finalized and a Judgment entered, then your ex-wife can request to have the CA order registered in AZ. I am not familiar with Arizona Law, however she may be able to request to move the case to AZ and then request a modification. This process would involve a lot of legal arguments and requirements, and therefore may not be successful. If your ex-wife requests to register the order in AZ, I would recommend seeking an attorney immediately.

2. Trevor L Hensley

Answered . California has continuing and exclusive jurisdiction in this issue according to the UIFSA (Uniform Interstate Family Support Act). If she wishes to modify the support award, she will need to modify it in California.