IF my ex files a petition in Arizona to change her awarded alimony, which state has jurisdiction?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Santa Maria, CA

She's in Arizona, I'm in California and we divorced in Ca., does the Az court follow Ca law? Can she have the filed divorce papers (filed 12/2012 in Ca) refiled in Az?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. 1

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Good Morning,

    What is the status of the divorce proceeding here in CA? If the matter has been finalized and a Judgment entered, then your ex-wife can request to have the CA order registered in AZ. I am not familiar with Arizona Law, however she may be able to request to move the case to AZ and then request a modification. This process would involve a lot of legal arguments and requirements, and therefore may not be successful. If your ex-wife requests to register the order in AZ, I would recommend seeking an attorney immediately.

    It is difficult to give accurate legal advice when all of the details of your case are not known. Please take... more
  2. Answered . California has continuing and exclusive jurisdiction in this issue according to the UIFSA (Uniform Interstate Family Support Act). If she wishes to modify the support award, she will need to modify it in California.

    This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, does not... more

Related Topics


Alimony is the regular monetary allowance one ex-spouse may be required to pay the other after a divorce.

Howard M Lewis

Paying Alimony (Spousal Support)

Alimony, also known as maintenance or spousal support, refers to payments made by one spouse to the other after a couple divorces. These payments are for living expenses and/or child... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

34,791 answers this week

3,826 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

34,791 answers this week

3,826 attorneys answering