If my employer has me turn in a daily time sheet but tells me if i do not turn it in they will not pay me at all

Fall River, MA |

my employer says that if i do not turn in my daily time sheet i will not get paid as if i never came into work

1. The employer may want to reconsider that position. Massachusetts has a mandatory triple damage provision when it comes to unpaid wages. Now, with that being said, make sure you turn in accurate time sheets because it may be grounds for termination if you fail to observe ordinary and reasonable work obligations.

The content of this message does not constitute legal advice and is not intended to be relied upon by anyone. It is highly recommended that the reader seek the opinion of a qualified attorney in his or her area for consultation and assistance. There are applicable statute of limitations and other considerations that only a qualified attorney can provide guidance on after being fully informed as to all of the circumstance of your particular case.

2. Your employer is obligated to pay you for the time you have worked. As Attorney Fein indicated it is important that you keep accurate time records. And as a practical matter, submitting a daily time sheet does not seem overly burdensome. If you can, it is generally easier to follow simple rules than to correct the problems that occur when you do not. Even if you are the one in the right.

You may want to repost your question under RI instead of MA. More RI attorneys will see your posting, then, and you can get more information about that state's laws.

This answer is provided for guidance only. DO NOT rely on it as legal advice. We DO NOT have an attorney-client relationship. You should contact an attorney in your area for a one-on-one consultation before pursuing any action or making any decisions.

3. Your employer needs to pay you. In Mass. at least, a failure to turn in your time sheet does not relieve them of the obligation to pay you in full.

If you're an at-will employee, though, they can (in most cases) fire you if you don't turn in your time sheet.

Since a time sheet only has a tiny amount of data, I confess that I'm having trouble imagining why you can't turn it in.

Do you want accurate, personalized, legal advice that you can rely on? You will have to hire an attorney, not ask on Avvo. I am not your attorney and am not creating an attorney-client relationship by this post. I am therefore giving only general advice. This advice may not apply to you or your situation; may not take account of all possibilities, and may not match the advice I would give to a client. DO NOT rely on this advice or any other advice on Avvo to make your legal decisions. If you want an answer to a legal question you should retain an attorney who is licensed in your state.

4. I agree with my colleagues, but would add that completing time-slips is part of the job. If you are an hourly employee, i.e., not salary/exempt, it should be done during the normal work shift or assigned as overtime.

This is not legal advice and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. You should speak to an attorney for further information.