If my employer has me turn in a daily time sheet but tells me if i do not turn it in they will not pay me at all

Asked about 2 years ago - Fall River, MA

my employer says that if i do not turn in my daily time sheet i will not get paid as if i never came into work

1. Christopher Joseph Fein

7

Answered . The employer may want to reconsider that position. Massachusetts has a mandatory triple damage provision when it comes to unpaid wages. Now, with that being said, make sure you turn in accurate time sheets because it may be grounds for termination if you fail to observe ordinary and reasonable work obligations.

2. Meghan Hayes Slack

4

Answered . Your employer is obligated to pay you for the time you have worked. As Attorney Fein indicated it is important that you keep accurate time records. And as a practical matter, submitting a daily time sheet does not seem overly burdensome. If you can, it is generally easier to follow simple rules than to correct the problems that occur when you do not. Even if you are the one in the right.

You may want to repost your question under RI instead of MA. More RI attorneys will see your posting, then, and you can get more information about that state's laws.

3. Philip W. Mason

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with my colleagues, but would add that completing time-slips is part of the job. If you are an hourly employee, i.e., not salary/exempt, it should be done during the normal work shift or assigned as overtime.

4. Erik Hammarlund

2

Answered . Your employer needs to pay you. In Mass. at least, a failure to turn in your time sheet does not relieve them of the obligation to pay you in full.

If you're an at-will employee, though, they can (in most cases) fire you if you don't turn in your time sheet.

Since a time sheet only has a tiny amount of data, I confess that I'm having trouble imagining why you can't turn it in.