If my child's father owes over $1,300 in back child support, can he go to jail?

Asked over 3 years ago - Forest, VA

If you are Behind more than $1,000 with back child support in the state of virginia, can you go to jail

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Susan Leslie Fraser


    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . In any case where the amount of funds appears to be excessive in the Court's eyes, a non-payor may be sent to jail. It is up to the judge, however, and is not mandatory. The father could also have any licenses issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia (CDL, Driver's license, license to run a business) suspended as well, but unfortunately in this day and age, arrearage of $1000.00 aren't seen as being 'that big': there are deadbeat parents out there who owe more than $50,000.00. Virginia's Department of Social Services Child Support Enforcement division works extremely hard, but there are thousands of these cases. Contact your Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court Clerk's office about how you will file a Petition with the Court to have him made to catch up the arrearages. Make sure you have copies of all payments he has made, or at least, some kind of log showing when he paid, how he paid, and the dates he has failed to make the payments.

    Legal issues often depend on the specific facts in any given case or situation. Please do NOT utilize the... more

Related Topics

Child support arrears

Child support arrears refers to support payments that are past due. There are several available options for collecting (or repaying) unpaid child support.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,136 answers this week

3,339 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,136 answers this week

3,339 attorneys answering