If my Checking account has been froze and I pay the dept in full, how long does it take to un-freeze

Asked over 1 year ago - Newnan, GA

adn do I need to take any actions with the court to un freeze the account

Attorney answers (3)

  1. David Jason Merbaum

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I assume you mean that your account has been garnished. If you pay the debt, the creditor has to file a dismissal of the garnishment and a satisfaction of judgment. The bank will not release the account until it is provided with the proper documentation, which if the creditor cooperates, should not take too long.

    This is not intended to create an attorney client relationship and none is to be implied either. You must contact... more
  2. Kris K. Skaar

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It should happen quickly; but I always anticipate that it will take a few days. Things will happen faster if you get the garnishment release/dismissal and have a copy delivered or faxed to the bank's garnishment department (most large banks have a central office - often in another state - that handles all garnishments).

    However, before I would pay the judgment, I would at least talk with an experienced consumer debt defense attorney to see if 1) you have any defenses to the garnishment, 2) you have any challenge to the judgment, or 3) there is a way to negotiate a reduced pay-off.

    Skaar & Feagle, LLP maintains offices in Marietta (770 427 5600) and Decatur (404 373 1970), Georgia. The... more
  3. Gary D. Bollinger

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . Call the Creditor attorney Monday and make your best offer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,557 answers this week

3,177 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,557 answers this week

3,177 attorneys answering