If my charges were dropped for a domestic violence case would a law enforcement agency still hire me?

Asked 3 months ago - Corona, CA

The charges were bogus from a crazy ex which is why the case was dropped less than a month later. I have a clean record and good background.

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

3

Answered . Typically the fact of the arrest will cause a higher scrutiny in a pre-employment investigation by any law enforcement agency. If the prosecution originally filed charges and then dismissed the case, you may have an option for a finding of factual innocence. Talk to a local criminal defense attorney who knows the judge you were in front of about a Petition for FI Order. If the pre-employment investigation confirms no unlawful conduct, the event will not cause a per se disqualification.Good luck.

2. Wail Sarieh

Pro

2

Answered . Nothing to add to Ms. McCall's excellent answer.

3. Marcus Cornell Cohen

Answered . Yes, Ms. McCall is correct but you should also be prepared to provide a detailed explanation about your situation and what lead to the dismissal to increase your candidacy.