If my case was dismissed question???

Asked almost 2 years ago - Beaumont, TX

If my case was dismissed how long does it take for me to be able to file a expunged to release this off my record so Ican get a government job.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Richard Timothy Jones

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Two years before a misdemeanor can be expunged and five years for a felony.
    Austin Jail Release and Bond Assistance
    Austin Probation Lawyer

    My answers are intended only as general legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client... more
  2. Allecia Lindsey-Pottinger

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It will depend on why your case was dismissed. There are different rules to get a case expunged or non-disclosed. You should speak to a criminal defense attorney about your case.

    I am licensed in the State of Texas and my answers are only applicable to the State of Texas. The response to your... more
  3. Sagi Shaked


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This question should be directed to a criminal defense attorney.

  4. Robert Bruce Kopelson

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Im moving this to criminal law heading.

  5. M Elizabeth Gunn

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In some cases, you can obtain an expunction immediately. More often, you'll have to wait out the statute of limitations on the offense, which is two years on all misdemeanors, and at least three years on felonies (sometimes longer, depends on the offense). I have a lot of experince with expunctions, and you're welcome to contact me for more specific information--I know my answer seems vague, but there are too many unknown variables here to answer your question with the detail I think you're probably looking for.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

21,649 answers this week

2,708 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

21,649 answers this week

2,708 attorneys answering