If my case goes to trial, what kind of questions will I be asked? Only about the case itself? can I ask WHY I am being asked?

New York, NY |

I am wondering if I am going to be asked questions that have nothing to do with the case like my nationality, immigration status, work status etc... The case has nothing to do with any of those things. Can I refuse to answer questions I deem not related to the case/ can I ask WHY I am being asked certain questions before I answer the question?

1. More information is needed regarding the type case.
    If a question is ask that is objectionable, you object and the judge will determine if you should answer it. No, you cannot ask the attorney why they are asking you a question.

You should take a pro se primer on the rules of evidence. Otherwise, the trial will be very frustrating to you.

2. I agree with the prior responder with an additional comment. You should have a lawyer represent you if you do not understand the basics of trials and objections.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

3. Without knowing the type of case it is, your question is nearly impossible to answer. Non - lawyers (and even a lot of lawyers) consider perfectly acceptable questions to be irrelevant, and they make senseless objections. Judges have to sort through objections and determine which ones have merit. You MAY NOT ask why a question is being asked, but you may OBJECT to a question if you do not understand its relevance. The Judge will determine if the question is relevant, and if it is, you will have to answer even if you do not understand why. IF you have an attorney, the attorney is supposed to object, not you.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email - Jgold@goldbenes.com

4. Speak to your lawyer.
    If you are the defendant, you are not asked any questions unless your attorney calls you to the witness stand.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

5. I thinking I am repeating myself but...you need to engage a good defense lawyer to ask these basic questions and get specific and correct answers,

Law Office Of Michael Marley
    Phone 917 853 4484

6. Usually no. You must answer and it is your lawyer's job to object to the question on grounds of illegality or form or any other reason under the state rules of evidence. Generally questions about your protected status like race, religion, color, immigration status, nationality are irrelevant and illegal to question about but I think they can be asked if they go to the nature of the charges. Most defense lawyers would object anyway to preserve appeal rights if you lose at trial.

THE ESTRELLA LAW FIRM, P.C.
    “LEGAL REPRESENTATION AND CONSULTING SERVICES THAT GO THE EXTRA MILE”

Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq.
    Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado
    Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut
    The Estrella Law Firm, P.C.
    75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170
    Inside The Bulova Corporate Center
    Jackson Heights, NY 11370
    T. (347) 628-2391
    F. (718) 672-4728
    E. Estrella.Jeffrey@gmail.com
    www.EstrellaLawyer.com

The answers posted herein are not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship exists. Call for a free 20 minute consultation! THE ESTRELLA LAW FIRM, P.C. “LEGAL REPRESENTATION AND CONSULTING SERVICES THAT GO THE EXTRA MILE” -- Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq. Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut The Estrella Law Firm, P.C. 75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170 Inside The Bulova Corporate Center Jackson Heights, NY 11370 T. (347) 628-2391 F. (718) 672-4728 E. Estrella.Jeffrey@gmail.com www.EstrellaLawyer.com