If my California LLC holds commercial real estate can i sell the LLC with the interest to said real estate property

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

Before we sell our comercial building in los Angeles which is held by a two member california LLC , can we sell the LLC so the profits of the sell of the real property go to the new owner of the LLC?

1. Michael Raymond Daymude

Pro

8

Answered . You can sell your membership interests in the LLC which could include the commercial real estate. However, if your goal is to escape capital gains tax, I am afraid you will realize it one way or another unless you can find some other way to exclude the gain as, for example, with a 1031 tax deferred exchange. You need the services of a tax attorney or CPA with respect to this issue.

2. Michael T Millar

Pro

8

Answered . If I understand your question, you want to know if you can sell the LLC including the real estate it owns. The answer to that question is: Yes. As Mr. Daymude indicates, there may be capital gains tax issues. So, you should include your tax professional in your decision to sell the LLC.