If my boyfriend was sentenced to twenty days in jail for contempt of family court how many days will he serve?

Asked over 5 years ago - Corona, CA

my boyfriend is in jail for contempt of family court its for upaid child support and i wanted to know if he will get out in two thirds time or how that works?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. William David Ausman

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . The answer to your question depends on your jurisdiction. Under Penal Code 4019(f), he will receive what is known in California as good time credits. That section of law states that for every 4 days served without getting in trouble while incarcerated he will earn 6 days of credit. So after 12 days of actual custody he will have 18 days credit. With two more actual days he will have served the entire sentence. Thus in 14 days of no discipline custody he will have completed his commitment. However heavily populated areas often give an early release to prisoners based on the facilities needs.

    There are often alternative sentencing programs such as work relase, home dentention or work furlough were a person can serve time without have to be in locked up. Contact your local jailing authority or the probation department for more information.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,747 answers this week

3,261 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,747 answers this week

3,261 attorneys answering