If my aunt is of sound mind can she check herself out of a nursing home in Missouri?

Kennett, MO |
Filed under: Elder law Nursing homes

She is deaf and we don't want her in a nursing home where she has no communication

Not enough facts to be able to identify all issues/provide a complete answer. Best to check with an elder law attorney in MO.

Absolutely she can check herself out whenever she wants.

Basically the answer is yes. A patient of sound mind has control over her medical making decisions and care

The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. I am only licensed in the State of California and I am not providing you with specific legal advice. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Being general in nature, the information provided may not apply to any specific factual and/or legal set of circumstances and/or the jurisdiction where you reside. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. The information provided is of a general nature is not intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney, especially an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Your question, although you may believe is simple, it is not simple. You require legal advice, please consult with a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.

If she has no competency issues then yes!

If you feel this is the "best" answer or is "helpful," please indicate. Since I am limited to the information you provide, I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the answer. You should seek the advise of an attorney who can explore all aspects of your question. This communication does not form an attorney client relationship.

Yes, but is that really what is in her best interests in the long run would be my question....

If she is sound mind, then yes, she can check herself out. If you are uncertain, check with an elder law attorney.

For a free consultation related to medical malpractice, personal injury, workers' compensation, social security disability or nursing home abuse, please contact Lowenthal & Abrams, PC at 1-800-876-5299. I am licensed in Pennsylvania, but members of my firm are licensed in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. This post is not legal advice, but instead contains general educational information. Please do not act or refrain from acting based upon what you read in this post. Also please remember that this post does not form an attorney/client relationship between you and me. If you have specific legal questions, you should contact an attorney in your state for assistance. I am licensed to practice law in the state of Pennsylvania.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates