Skip to main content

If my 50/50 business partner won't take a buy out, and the relationship is bad, what can I do once I resign?

San Diego, CA |

I bought all of the equipment on my personal credit cards. We owe the about $70k to my parents for start up costs. It's well documented, but we have nothing in writing about payment back. Can I resign from the business, take what is mine, and start over, since she won't consider a buy out, and I can not work with her forever. What is the best option for me? Of course I would love to have the business myself and continue to grow it, but she won't give it up, and I can not work with her anymore. Am I allowed to contact clients after since we don't have a non-compete?

Attorney Answers 3


A 50% partner is liable for 50% of all partnership debts.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


You need to sort all of the issues surrounding your partnership out with a lawyer. Good luck.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


good Idea to speak to a lawyer to review your agreement and see what options you have.

The content of this answer has been prepared by Scott Legal Services, P.C. for general informational purposes only. It is not legal advice and should not be considered or relied upon as legal advice. Transmission or receipt of the content of this information does not create, nor is it intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Because each matter involves differing facts, online readers should not act upon the content of this website without seeking legal advice.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics