If my I-20 and SEVIS canceled and I left US to my country, then I got new I-20, do I need to apply for new visa or my F1 visa

Falls Church, VA |

If my I-20 and SEVIS canceled and I left US to my country, then I got new I-20, do I need to apply for new visa or my F1 visa still valid? The duration is less 5 months. (45 days)

Check with the school as you may need to pay a new SEVIS fee. You should not need a new visa if time left on the last visa or duration of Stay. You will present the I-20 at Port of Entry but you may need proof that SEVIS fee was paid.

--
Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
Concentrating in Immigration Law

2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
San Diego, CA 92108 | (619) 299-9600
Fax: (619) 923-3277
website: www.immigrateme.com

Former Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
University of Illinois College of Law

You should apply for a new visa.

Contact: 860-548-2629 or dbucin@uks.com. This answer is provided for general education purposes only and is not intended to provide, nor does it provide, any legal advice.   By viewing this answer you understand and expressly agree that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the attorney who authored the answer.  Should you need legal advice, please contact a licensed attorney who practices in this area.  Readers of this answer and the information contained herein should not act upon any information contained in this answer without seeking legal counsel.

this from ICE website: Get an Initial Form I-20 from the new school. The student must exit the United States and return as an initial entry in a new F-1 nonimmigrant status (initial admission). A student who chooses this option must pay the SEVIS I-901 fee. The student will also lose credit for any time accumulated toward qualification for benefits such as optional or curricular practical training (CPT). If the student’s visa is valid, the student does not need a new visa if returning to the United States within five months of the exit date. If the student has a Terminated record because of a failure to maintain status or has violated any provision of the INA, as amended, the student may be denied re-entry to the United States under §212(a)(6)(G) of the INA, as amended

Dana Roxana Bucin

Dana Roxana Bucin

Well I don't know why your current I-20 got canceled - I would get a new visa just in case. Check with your DSO

His I-20 was terminated due to absence in elective sessions, and DSO told him just cross the boarder.

Yes, you should apply for a new visa.

Law Office of Marc Taylor, Esq. PC, www.usavisanow.com, 888-645-6272, info@usavisanow.com , 224 W. 4th Street, Suite 200, New York, NY 10014 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

You need to apply for a new visa.

Education law topics