Skip to main content

If me and my Husband file a declaration of informal marriage with the county can I legally change my name to his?

Balch Springs, TX |
Filed under: Marriage and prenups

We declared ourselves married on 04/24/11. I was wondering will I be able to change my last name to his on my S.S card and my liscense. or will I have to file for a name change and pay another fee.

Attorney Answers 1


If you listed your new married name on the Declaration form - you should need to only take a filed copy of the form with you to change your name. If you did not, then you would probably have to file for a name change.

The above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses are merely intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney in your community. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees




So what I need to do is put his last name as my last name and then put my last as maiden name correct even though my liscense has my maiden name on it...

Theresa Cay Langford

Theresa Cay Langford


On the declaration you would put his name as your last name, since you are married now; and your maiden name where is says maiden name. After filing, the various agencies should accept a certified copy for the purpose of change of name.



okay thank you I was a little confused but thank you so much for clearing that up. Do we get a certified copy of the decleration when we do it or do we have to request one at a later date do you?

Marriage and prenups topics

Recommended articles about Marriage and prenups

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics