If landlord delays my move in date, is that a default and can lease be cancelled?

Asked over 1 year ago - Stone Mountain, GA

landlord told me that before i move in, she will turn on all utilities and have her inspector present on the move in date for a walk through. She called me the day before to say the lights are not on and i will reduce 1st. months rent by $40. Is that a default and grounds to cancel lease. It says if landlord defaults and is not tenants fault the lease can be terminated.

1. David Jason Merbaum

3

Answered . You did not state how long of a delay there would be. I would suspect that if it was a short delay - a few days or so, then it would not be considered a material breach. Every "breach" is not a grounds to avoid a contract if the breach is not material.

2. Daliah Brill

1

Answered . To answer a contract question, an attorney needs to see the contract. Without knowing anything about the contract, In most contracts, this fact scenario is not sufficient to constitute a breach.

3. Ikemesit Amajak Eyo

1

Answered . Whether or not the delay in move-in is grounds for terminating the lease depends on what the lease says about a delay to start. For a definitive answer to your question, you would need to show your lease to an attorney.

I hope this information helps answer your question(s).

~ Kem Eyo