Skip to main content

If Judges did something wrong in his Judgment and caused the Plaintiff immense damages, who should the Plaintiff sue?

Los Angeles, CA |

One prejudice Judge from small claim court appeal department made a serious error in his Judgment, it has caused the Plaintiff large damages. The Plaintiff filed an appeal due to the defendant filed a cross complaint in small claim court. The defendant is a lawyer himself. Who should the Plaintiff sue for her damages? Judges are immune from lawsuits. City? County?
Can the Plaintiff hire a lawyer to file a separate lawsuit against the defendant in a civil court again?

Attorney Answers 2


In small claims court, if the judge did something "wrong", your remedy is to appeal to the Superior Court if you were the defendant in the small claims court case. A plaintiff in small claims has no right to appeal. You do not have a remedy against the judge for causing you "damages." If you have incurred damages by virtue of someone else's wrongful conduct, it is possible that you could file a claim in Superior Court, but no one could advise you regarding that without knowing all of the facts.
I hope that helps.

THIS RESPONSE IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. IT HAS BEEN PROVIDED FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Mann is licensed to practice in the State of California. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this educational exchange. Moreover, the facts provided by you were not sufficient to allow Mr. Mann to advise you specifically regarding what you should or should not do. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Mann is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter, or to take any action whatsoever.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


Judges have IMMUNITY for any decision
(wrong or right) they make on the bench.
You can appeal judge's decision.
If you think judge was "prejudiced"
then report judge to the State Bar
Judicial Tenure Committee. Just
because a judge "rules against"
you doesn't necessarily make them
"prejudice" as you put it. You have
to back your accusations up with
facts. Good luck!


Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics