If it's not specified in a contract, are confidentiality policies still in effect bet client and agency?

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

I signed a contract hiring a private investigator to do some work for me. After two days, I ceased the investigation because I felt misled about some aspects of the case.

The report I received from that detective looked like it was written by an attorney and it skewed heavily in favor of the people under investigation. The report also defamed me. I think he purposefully disclosed my information to the people under investigation and that they were the ones who wrote the report for him. The PI wouldn't voluntarily pay an attorney to prepare investigative reports which would cost him at least 800 to 1,000. Can I sue for this?

1. Daniel H. Richland

Answered . You should speak to an attorney with copies of your documents if you think this is true.

2. Peter J Weinman

Pro

Answered . I'm not sure I follow the question. You hired a detective to report on an attorney and then that attorney (you think) helped the detective write the report, which defamed you? I am sure you are mis-using the word "defamed" so please explain how you believe were defamed. What are your damages?