Skip to main content

If is it possible for a mom (greencard) to file a petition for her daughter to migrate in the US? how long is the wait time?

Houston, TX |

If a mother (permanent resident) files a petition for her daughter to migrate in the US from the Philippines, how long will the entire process be including the “wait time” for a quota number? Is there a provision that would allow this to happen, even if the petitioner is not a naturalized citizen?

Attorney Answers 2


Yes, the green card holder can file for her daughter. The wait time will depend on the age of the daughter and daughter's marital status. It may take 3-5 years.

The fastest way to do it is for the mom to apply for Naturalization, which will take approximately 6 months. Then, mom can petition for the daughter, which will take approximately 1 year.

If you need further case evaluation, contact our law firm for a confidential consultation.

Good luck.

Attorney Bogle.

Nikiki T. Bogle, Esq.
Immigration Legal Team
Bogle & Chang, LLC
Phone: (800) 342-1733 ext. 101
Serving Immigration Clients in All 50 States and Foreign Countries

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful


The "wait time" depends on the immigration status of the petitioner (naturalized citizen or LPR), the age of the daughter (child if under 21), and the date the petition is filed.

There is no set wait time. The Dept. of State posts a visa bulletin each month with the date of the petition they are currently working. The entire process will take several years. To make the process as efficient as possible, and avoid delays caused by not understanding the requirements, foreign nationals should consult an immigration professional.

This attorney is Board Certified and represents clients throughout the U.S. Click through to the Blog for more on the visa bulletin.

Mark as helpful

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics