If in a relationship a guy is sexually degrading me and making me do things i dont want to do sexually by verbally abusing me. i

Asked 9 months ago - New York, NY

is this criminal or civil

1. Thomas G. Briody

Pro

8

1

Answered . Verbal abuse is unlikely, in my opinion, to rise to the level of criminal conduct. Sexual assault between two adults-- one the aggressor and the other a victim of the aggression-- generally requires some element of force or lack of consent, or proof that the victim suffered some sort of disability that makes it impossible to consent. The degree of force, and whether the victim feared physical harm, is critical. This is particularly true where you indicate that the parties are in a "relationship."

I would suggest that if you feel you are being victimized in a relationship, you should end the relationship. If you believe that you have been harmed by this person or fear that you will be harmed, you may want to consult with an attorney who concentrates in domestic relations issues. That attorney will hopefully be able to guide you in the right direction-- whether it involves counseling or obtaining a restraining order or possibly contacting the police to pursue criminal charges.

2. David Ivan Bliven

Pro

5

Answered . It depends - if the verbal abuse constitutes a threat of physical injury, then this may be considered rape. If you feel coerced into sexual contact, the best advise is to leave the relationship. For a full assessment, schedule a consultation with a NYC Domestic Violence lawyer.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.
  3. Eric Edward Rothstein

3

1

Answered . I'm not sure it is anything. Is there force? That is what makes it rape.

4. Reid A Seino

4

Answered . Unless there is more detail, we cannot make heads or tails about this. Also, a very blunt question you will be asked is "why are you still in this relationship"?