Skip to main content

If Im on probation can I marry my fiancé who is pre release from state prison?

Reading, PA |
Filed under: Criminal defense

I was hit with 8 years probation in 2009 for a non violent first offense. I ve never violated, all terms and conditions of probation are met and my fiancée's offense is also non violent (dui's). We are trying to find a way to be together when he is released (i also have an attorney trying to help me with early release from probation). Can we marry? State of PA . ( my probation is semi annual reporting and I have a good relationship with my po. I'm a mother of 3 and active in my community)

Attorney Answers 3


You should ask your PO to get their input. Once your fiance is paroled to the community and has a parole officer then I think he should clear it with his PO. Btw, have you asked your attorney this same question?

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


I agree with Mr. Jones. Seek input from your probation officer and your attorney to ensure that you and your fiancé don't violate the terms of your sentence. Once the two are you are able to marry, the two of you may want to consider pre marital counseling to give yourselves the best chance to make it work. Good luck.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

1 comment



Thank you very much for the quick answers. I will be seeing my attorney this week. Ill be sure to ask him.


You should certainty speak with your Probation Officer.

Answers are not of fact, but rather the opinion of the attorney answering the questions asked. At no time does this answer create an attorney-client relationship. To the extent that these answers may become available to the general public there is no confidentiality as it pertains to this answer or question. The law changes frequently, and the material on this website is for general information purposes only and neither constitutes nor is intended to be legal advice. Prior to acting based upon this general information you SHOULD seek legal counsel regarding your specific legal matter. The outcome of every case is dependent on the specific facts and legal circumstances of each individual case. This website is not an offer to represent you, which can only be made after a consultation with one of the attorneys from The Lawyer answering this question does not intend to practice in any other jurisdictions where it is not licensed. Attorney is Licensed in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The firm does not seek to represent anyone viewing this website in other jurisdictions, and the website may not comply with the laws and ethical rules of states other than Pennsylvania and New Jersey. If you have any questions please contact my office at 215-564-1010. Lawyer Michael Kotik | | 1500 John F. Kennedy Blvd., Suite 220. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19102

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics