If im on probation and someone puts a restraining order against me is that a probation violation

Savannah, GA |

if im on probation and someone puts a restraining order against me is that a probation violation

1. Not necessarily. A restraining order is not a criminal charge or even evidence of criminal activity. It is a civil order that, if violated, usually carries criminal punishment. In Alabama a restraining order is called a Protection From Abuse or PFA. If you violate a PFA you could get 365 days in jail.

You need to tell your P.O. about it.

2. Getting a restraining order by itself is not a violation of probation, but the facts that caused the person to get a restraining order could be. For example, if this person alleges that you threatened, harrassed or stalked him or her, that would be evidence of a new criminal offense that could be used as a basis for having you revoked if the PO finds out. Also, if part of your probation was to stay away from this person, the fact that the person then went and took out a restraining order could lead to your being revoked for not obeying that part of the sentence.

3. The earlier answer were excellent! However, putting yourself in any position where you could be accused is just silly. While on probation I would aviod situations of conflict between persons.