If im illegal can my uncle petition me with citizenship?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Marcos, CA

Hello i was wondering if my uncle would be eligible to petition me for citizenship since i've been here illegal since i was 6 and now im about to turn 19. I also have applied for the DACA and was approved.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

13

Answered . No

2. Michael Hugh Carlin

8

Answered . No, your uncle cannot file a petition for you. The only people who could file a family-based petition for you would be your spouse, parents, sons/daughters age 21 and older, and siblings.

3. Alexus Paul Sham

Pro

5

Answered . I agree with my colleague. An Uncle cannot petition for your green card.

4. Michelle Skatoff Gee

3

Answered . Unfortunately, your uncle may not petition you for permanent residence (a green card). The only people who can petition for you are your parents, who would have to be U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents, a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident spouse, or any U.S. citizen siblings. Best of luck to you.

5. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

4

Answered . No.

6. Edyta Christina Grzybowska

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. On the bright side, as a DACA approved candidate you will probably soon be able to self petition yourself through the immigration reform. It looks like the Dream Act will be a reality soon, which means that probably you will be able to "upgrade" your DACA status to that of a permanent resident. So follow the news closely and stay out of trouble!

7. Alison Yew

Pro

2

Answered . Technically, under current laws, there is no basis for family members to petition for citizenship of a foreign national, no matter the status of either. Under family-based immigration, permanent residence ("green card") is possible under the four preference categories or immediate relative category. Unfortunately none of these categories provides for an uncle (or an aunt) to petition for a green card for a niece or nephew. Congratulations on the DACA approval. Keep yourself informed on Comprehensive Immigration Reform. There may be a path to citizenship for you then. As written, however, the comprehensive immigration reform bill provides for the termination of the siblings category as a basis for permanent residence.