If Im a 17 yr old abused run away but I go straight to the magistry to cps to make a report, is my living arrangement my choice?

Charlotte, NC |

I am being emotionally and mentally abused and neglected. I used to be physically abused but my mother lied to dds and I also lied for her. Lately, the abuse and neglect has been getting to me and is really affecting my well being. If I runaway but I am taken to the magistry and file a report against my mother, will i be forced to return back to the home? Does my mother have any control over my living arrangements? Can I decide who I want to live with? I am 17 years old. The abuse ha been going on for 6 years and it happened occasionally before that. Now its not physical. I hate it here. I have no freedom and am neglected. Can I use evidence from the original report? Please help me. I need to know my rights, and I need assurance that she cannot determine my living arrangements at all.espec

You should contact DSS as soon as possible and advise them of your situation. If your mother actually physically strikes you (domestic violence), you should contact the police. These agencies should be able to provide you with some information and help. As far as who you can live with, that will always be up to a judge in the end. You are almost 18. At that point you can do what you want to so long as it is legal.

The information provided herein is general information and not designed to create a lawyer-client relationship, nor is it intended to be all-inclusive. You should seek counsel from an attorney about your particular situation to ensure your rights are protected.

I was just going to go to them... can I do that?? Can it get me out of the house?!

Mikael Ray Gross

Mikael Ray Gross

It may, but they will have to conduct the investigation. They may give you a family placement while you wait. I will caution you to be very honest. Don't lie to either agency to make it look worse than it is. That can get you in trouble and make your mom look like the good guy.

I have witnesses and people who can account for me. Will that help??

And last year, I lied for her to protect her, and then she lied about everything, which made life more difficult for me and when the emotional and mental abuse began

Well, not began but worsened

Mikael Ray Gross

Mikael Ray Gross

Yes, the witnesses will help. Write down their names , addresses and phone numbers to give the DSS and police and they will interview them. The past is OK, I am just saying don't lie now. Be honest and they will help you as best they can.

What will family placement be like?? Can I have my own stuff? What if I know someone who is familiar with this? Is there any chance of me being to live with them ? And again, not meaning to be repetitive, but I need some assurance. I really don't want to have to go back home. Are you sure I can make the decision and I wont be forced to return home? It will be worse if I do.

I really do not want to go back... I need to know that I have a total say in my living arrangement and not my mother or cps. I need them to understand that this is what I want and need. I am not safe there. Mentally, it is making a major impact on me.. I need to get out. And not go back unless I am retrieving my things