If im 16 and my boyfriend is 18, is it illegal if we date if were not having sex?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Bellwood, IL

im 16 years old and my boyfriend is 18. i live in illinois and the legal concent age for illinois is 17. i will be 17 in june and he will be 19 in april. Were 2years apart. We aren't having sex but we kiss.. Is it illegal if we still date without having sex?

1. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

1

Answered . The age of consent in Illinois is 17. It is also illegal for a person to commit sexual acts on a person under the age of 18 if he/she has a position of authority or trust over the victim.

(720 ILCS 5/12-15) Sec. 12-15. Criminal sexual abuse. ...(c) The accused commits criminal sexual abuse if he or she commits an act of sexual penetration or sexual conduct with a victim who was at least 13 years of age but under 17 years of age and the accused was less than 5 years older than the victim.

Sec. 12-16. Aggravated Criminal Sexual Abuse. ...(d) The accused commits aggravated criminal sexual abuse if he or she commits an act of sexual penetration or sexual conduct with a victim who was at least 13 years of age but under 17 years of age and the accused was at least 5 years older than the victim.

Kissing is not sexual contact, unless your kissing is oral sex.

Dating without having sex is legal provided there is not other abuse occurring.

2. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Answered . Adding to the excellently concise advice by the prior counsel I will say that absent a position of trust by the 18 year old and actual sex until you become 17 there are no legal indications that you two may be violating the criminal law by dating and kissing without any sexual acts.

3. Mitchell Scott Sexner

Pro

Answered . It is not illegal for you do date, but remember that sexual contact is not limited to what you may normally think of as having sex.
    Sincerely,

Attorney Mitchell S. Sexner
    Mitchell S. Sexner & Associates LLC /o
    Defending your rights since 1990
    1 (800) 996 -4824
    Email: : msslawoffices@sbcglobal.net
    Website: Criminal and Traffic Attorneys