Skip to main content

If I write a police statement can I change my statement when i appear in court

Millen, GA |
Filed under: Domestic violence

MY boyfriend in I had an incident were i called the police and wrote a statement against him. He is charged with aggravated assault,aggravated battery, cruelty to children, obstruction of an officer. He also pleaded first offender on another case. Which he was on five years probation. I wanna know when he appear in court what would happen if I change my statement.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. If you change your statement to the police when you are on the stand testifying, you should be prepared for a confrontation of why you are changing your story and likely be asked something along the lines of, "Are you lying now, or were you lying at the time of the statement?" Also, if you do have "second thoughts" about what you originally told the authorities, don't change your story if to do so would cause you to lie, because that wouldn't look good for you, and it may open you up to criminal charges yourself.

  2. If you lie under oath, you could be prosecuted for perjury. This requires the State to be able to show more than just you gave a different statement. They must be able to corroborate your prior statement. Looking at the charges, I would suspect that the State can corroborate your prior statement (you don't get charged with aggravated battery without there being significant injuries)

    If you maintain that you are telling the truth on the stand, but gave a statement that contradicts your testimony, you could also get charged with making a False Statement (this is also a felony). In this instance, your testimony that you are telling the truth and the contradictory statement are enough evidence to convict you without any corroboration.

    Moreover, if there is substantial physical evidence, changing your statement for your boyfriend is not going to get him out of trouble. First, if you tell a contradictory story, you will be impeached with your prior statement. The jury is authorized to convict your boyfriend based upon your prior statement in such instances. Further, the physical evidence that is sure to be present with the aggravated battery charge will likely lead to a conviction over your testimony.

  3. Do not write anything without consulting an attorney.

    Does this answer your question?

    henry lebensbaum, esq.

    300 Brickstone Square, Ste 201

    Andover, ma 01810

    (978) 749-3606

    420 Common Street, Ste 101

    Lawrence, MA 01840

    (978) 685-2690

    Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics