If I write a letter stating I owe someone money, and they write one stating they won't bring me to court for the money...

Asked 9 months ago - Montauk, NY

*** I just want to know if a letter written, signed and notarized by the lender stating that she won't sue me for the money would disable her from being able to bring me to court.

Can they bring me to court? How would a judge rule on this? My friend helped pay back taxes and stuff 4 months ago because I was really struggling. I never signed anything saying I would pay her back, although I intend to. I offered to give her a letter saying I would pay her back, but she said "no, I trust you."

I am relying on money from a reverse mortgage to pay her back. She knew that from the beginning. I just learned that I have to wait 6 months to get the reverse mortgage, but she won't accept that. I don't know if she just wants that letter for security, or if she intends to do something with it.

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

3

Answered . It sounds like she wants proof of the debt. I don't think her letter saying she won't sue you will stand up in court because it is not a release and she is not receiving any consideration for it.

2. Robert J Adams Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . What you need is an offer of a release of the debt for the settlement amount.